Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Taught 3 Classes for the Girl Scouts at Camp Is-Sho-Da

I got the opportunity to teach three classes at Girl Scouts Camp Is-Sho-Da in Rensselaer County, NY this summer. I taught two quilling classes and one origami class. Each group had 5 or 6 girls in it who were in the 4th or 5th grade. They all seemed interested in the classes and were quick to learn. Some lost interest in the quilling after they made the first tag. But one of the groups I taught quilling to was able to create the second tag.  I enjoyed teaching the classes and hope to do it again. I even got the girls to fill out evaluations on my teaching and give me ideas for future classes. I also left my business card in the zip-lock bag kit I created for them to take home their projects.  I am thinking of trying to teach older girls for next time. I have noticed 8 to 10 year old's loose interest quickly or tire quickly. I have not noticed that response with adults yet. I had two hour sessions with each group I taught a class with. If any of the parents are unhappy with me posting these photos online let me know by email (staceysmile@gmail (dot) com) and I will remove the photo. If you want to learn more about the girl scouts check out their website http://gsneny.org/

These are the two tags I taught the girls to make.

 Bird on flower branch tag (above)
Girl Dancing tag (above)

July 23, 2013 Quilling with Artrageous group:










August 13, 2013 The Paper Crafters group learning origami.They created a lotus flower and a butterfly.

Here are the websites that I used for instructions.
Butterfly Instructions (10 minutes or less to create)
http://truebluemeandyou.com/2012/03/diy-book-page-origami-butterfly-by-todolwen/

I like the video on how to make a Lotus flower which is how I first learned how to do one.







 The above and below photo is the girls filling out the evaluation for the class to
let me know if they liked it or not. So far no negative reviews. :)

August 14, 2013 The Paper Crafters group learning Quilling. They were able to complete two tags.









 I also create the instructions for every class I teach and you can see them in the above picture. The lines tell you the length of each paper strip is and the student measures the piece of paper along that line and follows the instructions to create each piece.







No comments:

Post a Comment